Treatments aren’t only for the salon, you can give your hair just as much love from home. Hair masks have become increasingly popular over the past few years and we’re here to tell you why you should be using a hair mask in your routine if you’re not already. Here is your guide to using a hair mask as well as some answers to our most asked questions!
What is a hair mask?
A hair mask is a treatment used to moisturise, hydrate and nourish your hair helping to repair and restore it back to health. A hair mask is a typically richer, thicker and more intense than a conditioner, giving your hair that added boost of nourishment it needs.
Your hair goes through a lot in life; wind, rain, heat, the cold, some hair even bleaches and dyes. All of these elements add up and over time can damage your hair if you don’t look after it. This treatment is particularly popular among people who have dry or damaged hair as they are amazing at eliminating frizz, leaving your hair feeling soft and smooth. If this sounds like exactly what you need try our Miracle Mask.
When do I use a hair mask? And for how long?
This completely depends on your hair type and condition! If you have dry or damaged hair we recommend using once or twice a week in place of your conditioner depending on how often you wash your hair. Once your hair is feeling and looking healthy you can then decrease your usage to once every 2 weeks to maintain your hair condition. If you have oily prone hair a mask is best used once every 2 weeks focusing on the mid-end sections of the hair. As for how long, this again depends on your hair type and condition! Standard time is 10 minutes however for extra dry and damaged hair we recommend leaving on for longer, between 15-20 minutes.
The key to using hair masks is a bit of trial and error, what works for someone else might not work for you and your hair needs. There are many factor to consider like weather, lifestyle and more so when you feel like your hair needs some extra TLC then use more often.
Step by Step Guide
- Firstly wash your hair with our Miracle Shampoo, focusing on the scalp. I tend to shampoo twice to ensure my hair is fully clean before rinsing out.
- Apply to the mid-end sections of your hair. Really focus on the ends of your hair and work through with your fingers so the product is distributed evenly.
- Leave your hair mask on for 10 minutes or longer (see previous sections for advise on how long to use). This can either be left on as is or can use a shower cap.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly, if the mask is not washed out completely your hair may start to feel oily or greasy quicker than usual.
- The ultimate step to helping your hair mask take full affect is to reduce heat and distress on your hair. Steps like letting your hair air-dry naturally can help improve hair condition, reducing the usage of styling tools and keeping hairstyles loose using accessories that are not as harsh on your hair.
Taking care of your hair in between using your mask with other nourishing products can optimise your results and leave you with the hair of your dreams in no time!
Leave a comment